Of the many successful programs within the RRP grant and contract portfolio, several scientific advances are presented below, representing significant advances in treatment development, molecular radiation therapy, quality assurance for high-technology radiation therapy, and international networking.
- Radiation-induced brain damage, impact of Robbins’ work and the need for predictive biomarkers.
Prasanna PG, Ahmed MM, Stone HB, Vikram B, Mehta MP, Coleman CN. Int J Radiat Biol. 2014 May 21:1-50. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24844376.
- Mitigating the risk of radiation-induced cancers: limitations and paradigms in drug development.
Yoo SS, Jorgensen TJ, Kennedy AR, Boice Jr JD, Shapiro A, Hu TC, Moyer BR, Grace MB, Kelloff GJ, Fenech M, Prasanna PG, Coleman CN. J Radiol Prot. 2014 Apr 14;34(2):R25-R52. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24727460 [PubMed — as supplied by publisher]
- Brachytherapy boost in loco-regionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a prospective randomized trial of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Rosenblatt E, Abdel-Wahab M, El-Gantiry M, Elattar I, Bourque JM, Afiane MH, Benjaafar N, Abubaker S, Chansilpa Y, Vikram B, Levendag P. Radiat Oncol. 2014 Mar 1; 9(1):67. PMID: 24581393
- Premature chromosome condensation in human resting peripheral blood lymphocytes without mitogen stimulation for chromosome aberration analysis using specific whole chromosome DNA hybridization probes.
Pathak R, Prasanna PG. Methods Mol Biol. 2014; 1105:171-81. PMID:24623228
- Assessment of biodosimetry methods for a mass-casualty radiological incident: medical response and management considerations.
Sullivan JM, Prasanna PG, Grace MB, Wathen LK, Wallace RL, Koerner JF, Coleman CN.
Health Phys. 2013 Dec;105(6):540-54. PMID:24162058
- mRNA Expression Profiles for Prostate Cancer following Fractionated Irradiation Are Influenced by p53 Status.
Simone CB 2nd, John-Aryankalayil M, Palayoor ST, Makinde AY, Cerna D, Falduto MT, Magnuson SR, Coleman CN. Transl Oncol. 2013 Oct 1;6(5):573-85. eCollection 2013.PMID:24151538
- Nanotechnology in Radiation Research.
Rao V.L. Papineni, Pataje G.S. Prasanna, Mansoor M. Ahmed (2013). Society for Translational Cancer Research (Vol. 2). (K. Ji, Ed.) Sheung Wan, Hong Kong: Pioneer Bioscience Publishing Company.
- G-CSF rescues tumor growth and neo-angiogenesis during liver metastasis under host angiopoietin-2 deficiency.
Im JH, Tapmeier T, Balathasan L, Gal A, Yameen S, Hill S, Smart S, Noterdaeme O, Kelly M, Brady M, Fu W, Kruse K, Bernhard EJ, Augustin HG, Muschel RJ. Int J Cancer. 2013 Jan 15;132(2):315-26. Epub 2012 Jul 3. PMID:22699974
- NCI support for particle therapy: past, present, future.
Health Phys. 2012 Nov;103(5):662-6. PMID: 23032896
- Redesigning radiotherapy quality assurance: opportunities to develop an efficient, evidence-based system to support clinical trials--report of the National Cancer Institute Work Group on Radiotherapy Quality Assurance.
Bekelman JE, Deye JA, Vikram B, Bentzen SM, Bruner D, Curran WJ Jr, Dignam J, Efstathiou JA, FitzGerald TJ, Hurkmans C, Ibbott GS, Lee JJ, Merchant TE, Michalski J, Palta JR, Simon R, Ten Haken RK, Timmerman R, Tunis S, Coleman CN, Purdy J.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jul 1;83(3):782-90. Epub 2012 Mar 15. PMID: 22425219
- PET of HER2-positive pulmonary metastases with 18F-ZHER2:342 affibody in a murine model of breast cancer: comparison with 18F-FDG.
Kramer-Marek G, Bernardo M, Kiesewetter DO, Bagci U, Kuban M, Aras O, Zielinski R, Seidel J, Choyke P, CapalaJ. J Nucl Med. 2012 Jun;53(6):939-46. Epub 2012 May 11. Erratum in: J Nucl Med. 2012 Jul;53(7):1169. PMID:22582046
- Normal tissue protection for improving radiotherapy: Where are the Gaps?
Prasanna PG, Stone HB, Wong RS, Capala J, Bernhard EJ, Vikram B, Coleman CN.
Transl Cancer Res. 2012 Jun;1(1):35-48.PMID: 22866245
- Potential of PET to predict the response to trastuzumab treatment in an ErbB2-positive human xenograft tumor model.
Kramer-Marek G, Gijsen M, Kiesewetter DO, Bennett R, Roxanis I, Zielinski R, Kong A, Capala J. J Nucl Med. 2012 Apr;53(4):629-37. Epub 2012 Mar 12.PMID: 22410461
- A realistic utilization of nanotechnology in molecular imaging and targeted radiotherapy of solid tumors.
Patel V, Papineni RV, Gupta S, Stoyanova R, Ahmed MM.
Radiat Res. 2012 Apr;177(4):483-95. Epub 2012 Mar 9. Review. PMID:22404738
C. Norman Coleman, M.D., holds an undergraduate degree in mathematics from the University of Vermont and received his medical training at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Coleman completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, a fellowship in medical oncology at NCI, and a fellowship in radiation oncology at Stanford University. More…